This article contains links to products for which we may receive commissions.
These delicious soft pretzels are easy to make at home and come out of the oven soft and chewy. With minimal waiting time, you’ll have freshly made soft pretzels in less than an hour!
We bought these pretzels at Costco when I was young. We ate a lot of it in our family. These are the best appetizers, especially with spicy mustard.
Now that I can make them myself, I’m excited. They are much easier to make than you think. Especially when you hear that it involves a container of baking soda. Believe me, they are incredibly simple.
Do you want some bread? Here’s a simple beer bread you can make at home.
How to make soft pretzels
The dough can be made by hand in a bowl or with a stand mixer. The only difference is time and energy. I don’t usually use a mixer because it’s easy without one and I’m lazy.
In a bowl, mix the hot water, salt and sugar. Add the yeast and let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast begins to foam.
If your yeast isn’t foaming, it’s probably old or inactive. You should start with fresh yeast. Without the foam, you get flat pretzels that don’t rise.
Add the flour and two tablespoons of oil to the bowl and mix well until a dough forms. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes to make it supple. If you are using an upright mixer, you can just knead the dough in the mixer with the bread hook.
Return the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap to rest in a warm place for at least 10 minutes, up to 1 hour. I prefer to leave it for a full hour, as it gives the yeast more time, but if you have the time, it can be done with less.
Preheat the oven to 230°C.
Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a thin cord about 20 cm long. This sounds complicated, but it’s not, I promise.
Bring the two ends together to form a circle, with the ends facing you. Twist the ends together once. It’s like the Ankh symbol. Fold the rolled ends over the top of the circle to make a pretzel shape.
To prevent the twisted end from coming loose, press the two pieces together where they overlap.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the baking soda. Once the water is boiling, drop the pretzel into the water on a strainer or with a slotted spoon. Bake each pretzel for 30 seconds on each side.
Meanwhile, beat the egg in a bowl and prepare a brush for the casserole.
After baking, place the pretzels on a wire rack and brush the top with egg and sprinkle with salt. Morton’s Coarse Salt is perfect. If you buy it on Amazon, try this Mediterra Coarse Sea Salt.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Eat them while they are still warm!
But if you can’t, they’re good for a day or two. You can warm them up in the toaster or oven to keep them warm.
Serve with hot mustard.
Can soft pretzels be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze soft pretzels. They will keep for a month in the freezer if stored properly.
Wrap them well in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container to prevent ice crystals from forming on the surface.
To reheat them, put them in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes.
THEY CAN LOVE
How’s this recipe? Don’t forget where you found it! Save it on Pinterest for later! Follow us on Pinterest too to see more great recipes like this in your feed.
Also keep an eye on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
If you make this recipe, take a picture and tag it with the hashtag #savoredsips – we’d love to see your creations on Instagram!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Extra time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
These delicious soft pretzels are easy to make at home and come out of the oven soft and chewy.
- 1 1/2 cups hot water (360 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 packet active dried yeast, 2 1/4 tsp.
- 4 1/2 cups flour (565 g)
- 3 tablespoons butter separately
- 1/2 cup baking powder (120 g)
- 8 cups water (1900 ml)
- 1 beaten egg
- coarse salt
- Mix the hot water, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the yeast and let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast starts to foam.
- Add the flour and 2 tablespoons of oil to the bowl and mix until a dough forms. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes to make it supple.
- Return the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap to rest in a warm place for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a thin cord about 20 cm long. Bring the two ends together to form a circle and twist the ends once. Fold the rolled ends over the top of the circle to make a pretzel shape.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lemonade. Bake each pretzel for 30 seconds on each side.
- Place the pretzels on a wire rack and brush the top with egg powder, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- If you don’t have time to let the dough rise for an hour, you can shorten this time to 15 minutes. They are slightly lighter and fluffier after an hour of rising.
- You can omit the baking soda bath, but it will give the dough its airy texture.
- After baking, the pretzels can be frozen for up to a month. They can be warmed up in the toaster or in the oven.
Quantity per serving : Calories : 321Total fat: 7gSaturated fat: 1gOverfat: 0gSaturated fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 4161mgCarbons: 56gFibre: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Secure for later!
Laura is the founder and editor of travel blogs and Savored Journeys. It is dedicated to sharing the best information about the drinks available in the world.
frequently asked questions
How do you get salt to soft pretzels?
How to make soft pretzels from scratch?
The recipe is for homemade pretzels.
What ingredient makes a pretzel taste like a pretzel?
Malt syrup (as used for beer) and dipping in a hot soda solution (baking soda or baking powder and hot water) after cooking for about 20-30 seconds give the pretzel its distinctive brown color and flavor. The alkaline solution contributes significantly to the taste of the pretzel.
homemade pretzels without yeast,german soft pretzel recipe,homemade pretzel bites,auntie anne’s pretzel recipe,cinnamon pretzel recipe,bavarian pretzel recipe,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,Pretzilla Bread Soft Pretzel,Labriola Handcrafted Artisan Sof…,Pretzilla soft pretzel bites,Pretzilla Soft Pretzel Bread Bites,Great Value Pretzel Bites,Labriola Soft Pretzel Bites with…,See more,Snyder’s of Hanover Gluten Fre…,J&J Snack Foods 2.4 oz. Bavari…,From The Ground Up Cauliflowe…,Rold Gold Pretzels Sticks,Snyder’s of Hanover Twisted Pr…,Snyders Pretzels Sticks,Superpret… original baked Soft…,Bachman Rolled Rods Flame Bak…,COMBOS Baked Snacks Ch…,Auntie Anne’s Classic So…,Tonyas Gluten Free Kitchen So…,Superpret… Pretzels Soft,wetzel pretzel recipe,easy pretzel recipe for preschoolers